A deadly bow and arrow attack in Norway which left five people dead appears to have been an act of terror, Norway’s security service (PST) said.
However a motive has not yet been determined.
The suspect, a 37-year-old Danish citizen, had converted to Islam and there were fears he had been radicalised, police say.
He is accused of killing four women and a man on Wednesday night in the southern town of Kongsberg.
Residents have been deeply shaken by the violence.
Flags were flown at half-mast on Thursday while flowers and other memorials were placed in Kongsberg’s main square.
The victims were all aged between 50 and 70, regional police chief Ole Bredrup Saeverud told reporters at a Thursday morning news briefing.
The attack was first reported at 18:12 (16:12 GMT) on Wednesday. Police confronted the man six minutes later, but he shot several arrows at them and escaped. He was eventually caught about 30 minutes later.
It was during this time, between being first approached and then arrested, that the victims were killed, the police chief said.
A woman was also stabbed at a nearby intersection, witnesses told local media.
The suspect has been named as Espen Andersen Brathen.
Police fired warning shots when he was eventually arrested, but it is not clear if officers were armed when they first came across the suspect. Norwegian police do not usually carry guns on them – weapons are stored at police stations or in their patrol cars.
The attack was Norway’s deadliest since far-right extremist Anders Behring Breivik murdered 77 people, most of them teenagers, on the island of Utoya in July 2011.
The attacker allegedly launched the assault inside a Coop Extra supermarket on Kongsberg’s west side. One of those injured was an off-duty police officer who was in the shop at the time.
The officer and another person who was wounded are recovering in hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.
One witness told local outlet TV2 she had heard a commotion and saw a woman taking cover, then a “man standing on the corner with arrows in a quiver on his shoulder and a bow in his hand”.
“Afterwards, I saw people running for their lives. One of them was a woman holding a child by the hand,” she added.
Police have told Norwegian news agency NTB that the attacker also used other weapons during the incident, without giving more details.
The suspect moved over a large area, and authorities cordoned off several parts of the town.
Residents were ordered to stay indoors so authorities could examine the scene and gather evidence. Police searched surrounding gardens and garages with the help of sniffer dogs.